Monday, May 30, 2011

For Lunch - Ajisen Ramen

As the day started, I didnt believe there would be a chance of sun as foretold by the overcast morning. With the gray weather, I was in the mood for something that I usually have a hankering for in this type of weather. At Westfield San Francisco Centre, Ajisen Ramen has their first norcal foothold. They have a handfull of locations in the socal area. A friend spoke of this place. She also mentioned how another friend had been here before. That friend was also ttrying to sample a majority of the offerings on the menu. Because of this, I surmised it must be fairly decent.

Its a rather small footprint when the lunch crowd arrives. The wait was moderate at half past noon. The lines were actually longer at an hour later. The service was a bit slow in seating, taking the order, and presenting the meal. The lethargy of the wait staff was not outside of what I would consider accetable. There is no door or walls to keep the noise of the mall from overwhelming the dining area.



Since ramen was in the title of the restaurant,. I thought that I should try that first. My order was the beef curry ramen. I like japanese curry and I like ramen. I like the idea of the two combined into one. I dug into the soup upon its arrival. I was disappointed but it was what I expected. The soup has a very mild flavor and runny like soup. I dont know why but Im always expecting something a bit thicker, such as the curry found in curry udon. I guess no one really likes the curry to be very bold in their soup. For some of the ones Ive tried in Japan, they are similar to this. I would like to see one thats as flavorful as the ones found in curry rice. The noodles were straight and pretty thin. They didnt have the chewiness that I look for. Other elements found were cabbage and green onions. There was a good portion of thinly-sliced tnder beef. The meat tasted a bit sweet like korean bulgogi. After a couple of sips of the soup, the bowl almost looked bone dry. All that appeared was just a mound of noodles. As I neared completion, the ramen noodles gave way to a puddle of soup that was hiding beneath it. Cost was just under $10