Thursday, August 25, 2016

Barbecue Travelogue Austin Day 3

Im definitely feeling like I have over indulged in this whole bbq trip.  I dont have the stomach of a 20 year old who can absorb all the food that Ive been eating.  This was no more apparent than after the next spot that I went to today.  Austin has a bustling food truck scene.  Aaron Franklin started qith a food truck in the early going.  Micklethwait is a food truck thats a few blocks down from Franklin.  Along the way there was a spot where a number of trucks uad gathered.  I didnt stop in.  Im brisketed out and couldnt order round.  There are other options and landed on the beef short rib.  The problem is they sell these behemoths by the bone.  Each bone can be easily 1 pound or more.  This one is 1.33 pounds.  For some variety I had a side of grits with jalapeno and cheese.  The grits were outstanding.  The creamyiness of the grits were cmbined with a mix of blue cheddar and cream cheese.  The first couple hits of the rib were tender and smokey.  You could haved gummed this.  The bark gets over powring with the salt and pepper after a while so I had to scrape it off.  I plowed through the rest of it but I compounded the problem a bit later.

I drive over to downtown and past the capital building as I turn on Congress Ave.  I head south to SoCo(South Congress Ave).   A collection of boutiques shops and restaruants line either side.  I read about Big Top Candy.  Its one of those candy shops that have old time or hard to find candies that appeals to kids and adults.  Its been 90plus degrees the past few days.  The have a ice cream/soda fountain featuring Blue Bell ice cream.  I couldnt help but getting an ice cream soda.  It was nice and cold but added to the feeling of being bloated.  I pucked up a few things before leaving.


I bailed on bbq tpnight.  Thought about hitting Black's in Austin for another massive beef rib.  Some people cam handle this much meat but it does not look like I can be counted as one of them.  Sadly I went and got a little something at a fast food place.