Monday, October 9, 2023

Pho

 You may not know but I have had pho several times before.  A close by restaurant is one that I frequent the most and invariably compare everything else to it.   What drew me to this place?  The green onion?  No, the block of beef

I like a hearty beefy broth when I enjoy pho.  Although I liked the broth, it wasnt what I expected and tasted a bit sweeter than expected as well.  The rice noodles are a little wider than Im used to but I ordered it this way since they offered it.  Typically, I get a narrower noodle thats very chewy.  Not sure if the texture of this was supposed to be very soft but helped to ease my jaw muscles and made it very easy to eat.

By the way, the green onions never got in my way.  However I usually like the raw onions after they soaked in the hot broth and softened up a bit

The bone-in short rib was the stand out.  Cooked until falling off the bone.  A nice mix of meat and fat.  The tender meat is easy to tear apart with chopsticks.  Once you put it in your mouth, the beef flavor gets bolder as you chew on the fibers.  A little resistance gives an almost al dente feel.  This hunk of meat is the same cut people in Austin referred to as dinosaur bones.  Of course, they bbq it instead of stewing it.  Overall, I would go back again especially for the short rib.