Friday, August 5, 2022

A few things I ate recently

Recently, I went on a trip and catalogged a few things that I dined on during those days I was away.  These are just a few things.  There were other items that were too mundane to note.  The first stop was in Santa Nella branch of Pea Soup Andersen's

They have an eatery, bakery and souveniry...souvenir shop.  They are right off Interstate 5.  This is a heavily traveled artery between north and south California.  The first time I had their split pea soup was from a can bought at a grocery store.  The shop has cans of soup for purchase should you be inclined

If dont feel like dining, but want a little something to nibble on, the bakery has a number of sweet items to take with you

After I had lunch, I needed something sweet to round out lunch

The soup is thick and creamy.  Sure the color may be off putting but the flavor brings me back to when I first had it as a kid.  Some people are reminded of the projectile vomiting scene in the Exorcist.  Even though it was 90+ degrees outside, it was still satisfying

The entree selection is frikadeller, danish meatballs made with beef/pork.  Different not only in size but in flavor than the small Swedish meatballs from Ikea.  Plus its a coarser grind of meat.  Smothered in a light brown gravy

Slightly sweet and slight sour red cabbage is the first side dish.  The second is a boiled potato

I saw this place in Santa Clarita when I was looking for a simple place to eat around Siz Flags Magic Mountain.  The name jumped out at me because I thought there was a relation to the breakfast sausage guy.  Guess not. My order consisted of Chicago-style and a side of zucchini fries.  I love zucchini in most forms but deep fried and/or grilled are my favorite.  Shout out to the breaded discs at Carl's Jr.  Saw these in fry form and had to order.  The sticks are fried to a golden brown brown with a crisp exterior and soft inside like a good fry.A tub of ranch dressing is the best accompaniment.   The zuke was goooood and the dog was good.

I got to the Porto's Northridge location not long after they opened.  There were people there and a steady trickly flowing in while I was there.  Im here to get an order to take home.  If I wasnt so hurried, I would have liked to eat somethere there with a nice iced coffee

I mainly came for the savory items.  The first potato ball I had was well over 10 years at a gather in southern California.  I ordered a couple boxes of deep fried goodness in addition to a few meat pies

Their bakery puts out sweets and desserts as well as breads and pastries.  The guava with cheese pastry should hold up and be a nice distraction should if feel peckish.  The unrefrigerated dessert would not last the 6+ hour drive back home through the central valley where it would have been well over 90 degrees


A short video