Friday, April 1, 2016

Travelogue Japan Day 13-Walking The Yamanote Line

After the conclusion of this leg of the walk, there would only be 2 sections left to do: Shinagawa to Shimbashi and Shinjuku to Nippori.  For those who dont know, the latter is whole north arc of the loop. .Before I take the first step, I need to fuel up for the walk.. Since I will be starting at Tkyo station, I will try another ramen restaurant.  


Soranoiro touts a vegan ramen.  Im not about that so I choose their number 1 which has chasiu, slice of chicken, and stewed pork.  

Love the garlic chips on the counter.  I beleive its a soy sauce based recipe.  I liked it and it was a nice warm bowl for a very cold day. 

This time I head north from the station to Akihabara along the inside of the line

Before getting to the next station, Kanda, I come across a small UPS customer counter and a number of their vehicles.  Small in relation tot he ones I seen in the Bay Area.

Several rivers run through Tokyo but are either underground or hard to see.  Like this one, a highway is built over it.  Some rivers are lined with boats on either side.

You can always tell when you get near a rail stop.  Since so many people pass through it, it creates alot of foot traffic and a number of shops and restaurants want to take advantage of it.

Kanda seems to be a minor stop.  Maybe 3 lines actually stop at it


Beyond the station I follow a wide street hoping it will lead me to Chuo dori.

My assumptions are correct as I begin to see the familiar streets of Akihabara ahead and the rails of the Chuo/Sobu line

In no time, I am just west of the station and have completed this portion of the walk.  

Oh no!  Ive gone too far.  I have already completed the portion leading to Okachimachi and Ueno.  A new Carl's Jr has been opened in Tokyo.  We may be used to it in the states but the locals have lined up for it   I passed by hee a few days ago and there were no hints to any kind of line.  Maybe they werent open yet?

I had seen this Denny's as I roamed the area bordering Shinagawa.  I tend to prefer Jonathon's, another family style restaurant, but there is none nearby.  I had eaten here previously but only once at their Ikebukuro branch.

This would be my last meal in town before heading to the airport.  I get the hamburg steak set.  Clockwise from top left: hamburg steak, deep fried oysters, warm cabbage and shrimp, miso soup, and rice.