Monday, December 6, 2010

Fin. K.L







I have enjoyed some Kpop over the last year and a half. In that time, I have been witness to the explosive growth of girl groups. Girls Generation, Kara, T-ara, 4minute, miss A, Sistar, Rainbow to name a few who have been around a while with a few debutting more recently. One of the previous predecessors to this current wave was Fin. K.L(Fine Killing Liberty). This group came on the scene around the time of some other Kpop girl groups of their time, SES(named after the initials of the trio) and Baby VOX(Baby Voice Of Expression). The quartet consisted of Ock Ju Hyun, Lee Jin, Lee Hori and Sung Yuri. They had a softer sound and image as compared to the faster paced and dancier tunes of their contemporaries. They released their first album in 1998 and their last in 2002.

Whatever happened to... I havent traced the whereabouts and current doings of all four members. I only know about the current activities of the two Lees, Jin and Hyori. I have mentioned Hyori in a previous post. She has not been seen much on television nor heard on radio since the plagarism controversy surrounding her last album. She has kept busy with endorsements and modeling.

The reason for this post is due to Jin's appearance on Happy Together that I recently saw on KBS World. Here, they did a retrospective of some of Fin. K.L's popular hits as she was requested to do the dance steps from the videoes. Hilariously, she could barely remember the moves while other guests and co-hosts of the show were much more in tne with Jin's past. In listening to this medley, I began to search out some of the songs that appealed to my ear, I Cant Cry, Forever Love, and Now. I particularly loved the video for Now. Something about their moves and flowing outfits were visually entrancing. The videoes of the other songs displayed an innocence and youthful charm of the group. Lee Jin is currently an active participant in one of my favorite Korean variety shows, Heroes.